Tenure-track/Post Doctoral Researcher in Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases (UDIC).
IC3 Headquarters in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Institut Català de Ciències del Clima (IC3) is a climate institution created by the Government of Catalunya and the University of Barcelona, aiming at understanding climate change and variability, the dynamics and theory underlying those changes and the impact on society. IC3 focus is on the Mediterranean regions, tropical Africa, South America and Southeast Asia as well as in global planetary dynamics.
The UDIC is also strong in understanding, detecting and simulating climate impacts. On the latter, the RG on Climate and Health is specifically devoted to disentangling and modeling the dynamics of infectious diseases driven by climate variability and change. In particular, we have been very active in trying to better understand the way vector-borne diseases behave and how their epidemiology interacts with the environment and climate in both endemic and epidemic settings. Malaria, dengue, chikungunya, yellow fever and leishmaniasis are among our central interests, though we work also on other relevant human diseases with an environmental link such as cholera and other diarrheal diseases. Recently, IC3 works also on airborne diseases such as influenza and Kawasaki disease and at uncovering unknown atmospheric determinants of human ailments.
For details, see www.ic3.cat
We are looking for a skilled and motivated experienced postdoctoral candidate to join the Group taking a major responsibility on the development and improvement of mathematical models of the infectious diseases the group is working on. The nonstationary interplay between the environment and human population dynamics is a key element in attempting to objectively trace the influence of extrinsic covariates in the variability and occurrence of epidemic outbreaks of infectious diseases, with a special emphasis on the colonization of new regions. Depending on the candidate’s proven capacity, skills, previous expertise and top-notch publications track record, a tenure-track position might also be considered. The postdoctoral contract is offered for a four year period,on a 2+2 basis, with a possibility to further extension. Consideration for tenure-track is also possible at the outset depending on the value and merits of the candidate.
DESIRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
Ideal candidates should have all of the following attributes below. Candidates not demonstrating such capacities will not be considered.
- PhD in ecology, epidemiology, statistics, mathematics, mathematical biology, physics or related fields.
- Skill and demonstrated ability and experience in building, calibrating and in the validation of mathematical models (stochastic ODE systems) for modeling the dynamics of infectious disease (VBD) or/and (WBD). Experience in procedures for estimating modeling parameters in ODE systems (e.g. Runge-Kutta, MIF methods), are required.
- The candidate should have demonstrated facility in handling large database (especially climatic and environmental databases) and in programming languages needed for developing code and scripts. Knowledge of advanced statistics will be valued.
- Capacity to write proposals, manuscripts and to work with other colleagues in a highly collaborative environment.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, fluency in other European languages will be also valued.
CONDITIONS AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
The position is opened in September 12, 2016 and will be closed as soon as a suitable candidate is selected. The salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your full CV accompanied with a brief statement (max. 2 pages) of interest and experience with the following subject “Application for Tenure-track/Postdoc researcher in Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases” by e-mail to Xavier Rodó (email@example.com).
Selected candidates should ask for three letters of recommendation from external scientists. A letter from the PhD advisor is also encouraged.
Candidates selected will be asked to conduct a personal interview and a seminar presentation.